CONGRATULATIONS SEAHAWK VOLLEYBALL!!! GOING TO STATE!!!!
CAMDEN — Myrtle Beach is known for its state championships in football but now they might get another in volleyball.
The Seahawks picked up a 25-18, 25-22, 25-13 win over Camden in the Lower State final and advanced to the Class AAA State Championship on Wednesday. It is the first time in school history that they’ve won a Lower State title and will be playing for a state title.
“It feels pretty incredible. It’s one of those things that its been a goal for the girls all year long and to see them acheive that its pretty special,” Myrtle Beach coach Larry Church said. “I explained to the girls tonight, ‘At our school we hang banners for state championships and runnerups. For us to be the first volleyball team to have a banner up, there it is pretty special’.
Junior Meagan Milligan led the Seahawks with 10 kills and seven blocks. Senior teammates Amy Wiggins added nine kills and five blocks and Shelby Sheets had seven kills and six aces.
“Honestly, I didn’t think we would sweep them (Camden),” Church said. “In the first game it was 16-16, before we pulled away. The second game we got out to an 8-2 lead but they (Camden) kept it close. We again were tied and then pulled away. The great thing was we kept getting progressively better and better.”
Myrtle Beach will now face East Side, who was a winner over Nation Ford in the Upper State final. The pair will square off on Saturday at White Knoll High School at 3:30 p.m.
Church’s team knows they are facing a good team but are confident.
“East Side has been top 1 or 2 in AAA,” Church said of his team’s opponent and team’s mentality. “They obviously have a quality team. We are a little nervous but each round of the playoffs we kept getting progressively better and better.”
State Championship Information:
November 5, 2011
White Knoll High School, Lexington, SC
A 11:00 am
AA 1:30 pm
AAA 3:30 pm MYRTLE BEACH vs EAST SIDE HIGH SCHOOL
AAAA 6:00 pm
DIRECTIONS TO WHITE KNOLL HIGH
- Take I-26 to I-20 west
- Take Exit 55 A, Hwy.6 (Pelion Exit)
- 55 A takes you under Hwy 6, circles around, taking you back across the Interstate.
- Go approx. 3 ½ miles to the fourth light (Food Lion Shopping Center)
- Take a right at the Hwy. 6, Platt Springs Road Intersection and White Knoll High School is on the left.
- Take Exit 55, Hwy. 6 (Pelion, Lexington Exit)
- Take a right off I-20
- Go approx. 3 ½ miles to the third light (Food Lion Shopping Center)
- This will be the intersection of Hwy. 6 and Platt Springs Road
- Take a right and go approx. ½ mile, White Knoll High is on the left.
- Take I-26 West to I-20 West
- Follow # 3 – #5 on the Columbia Directions
- Take I-20 West
- Follow # 3 – # 5 on the Columbia Directions
Photo Credits: http://facebook.com/cbwiggins